Have I Got Asbestos?
Any building constructed prior to October 1999 has the potential to include Asbestos Containing Materials (ACMs). Buildings constructed in the 1960’s and 70’s are highly likely to contain ACMs, as usage peaked in these decades, with an estimated 180,000 Tonnes of raw Asbestos imported into the UK each year. Asbestos fibres were added during the process and manufacture of numerous building materials due to their superior fire resistant and insulating properties.
The most common types of ACMs that may have been used within the construction or refurbishment of your building could include:
- Asbestos Insulating Board (AIB).
- Thermal pipe lagging.
- Loose fill Insulation within wall cavities, loft spaces and floor voids.
- Asbestos cement based products such as boiler flues, cold-water tanks and roof coverings.
- Vinyl floor tiles and associated adhesives.
- Asbestos containing texture coatings (Artex)
- Bitumen based products such roofing felt and acoustic pads to the underside of stainless steel sink units and drainers.
- Woven flash guards to electrical fuse boards.
- Rope seals to log burners and gaskets to pipe flanges
The list is endless….
It is impossible to know if your building does or does not contain Asbestos without having an Asbestos Management Survey undertaken. You should only employ an experienced, competent, qualified Asbestos Surveyor to undertake your Survey.
Your Surveyor will take samples of suspected ACMs for analysis by a UKAS Accredited laboratory; the results will then form the basis of how you will need to manage any ACMs identified within your property.
The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 exempts domestic properties from the need to have an Asbestos Management Survey undertaken; however, this exemption does not include communal areas such as staircases, corridors and plant rooms etc.
Please Note: If your domestic property is to undergo significant building works, then an Asbestos Management Survey or a more intrusive Pre-Demolition/Refurbishment Asbestos Survey should be commissioned, as building work could disturb potential ACMs within the property.
Contact A specialist
Never, under any circumstances, should you or anyone else handle Asbestos without proper training. To learn more, get a quote, or to arrange a full survey, contact Marpal today on 01332 668877 or email [email protected] and our Asbestos Team will be happy to help.