Do I Need To Have An Accident Report Book?

Reporting Of Work-Related Injuries & Incidents

There is a legal requirement under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations (RIDDOR) to record and report details of work-related deaths or any specified work-related injuries and incidents.

The Regulations don’t specify what form of recording is required; therefore, you may wish to record details of the accident or incident in an Accident Report Book or an Accident Report Form – this can either be in hard copy or electronic.

Details Must Include:

  • The injured persons (IP) particulars, full name, home address, telephone numbers and occupation.
  • Who is reporting the incident, full name, home address, occupation, department and date.
  • Accident/incident details including date, time, place/room, equipment/machinery involved.
  • The injury sustained by the injured party(s).
  • Was first aid administered; if so, by whom.
  • Was the injured person taken directly to hospital; if yes, provide details of the hospital.
  • Did the IP go home, or return to work?

Other Requirements:

  • To comply with the Data Protection Act 2018, the UK’s implementation of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), it is a requirement to keep confidential information about the injured party confidential. Once the record has been completed in the book you must remove the record and store it in a secure place, under lock and key.
  • The form may be kept as a hard copy or electronically under password protection.
  • Records are to be kept for a minimum of 3 years from the date on which it was made.
  • Records must be kept at the place where the work to which it relates is carried on, or at the usual place of business of the responsible person.

In addition, you should also be aware of the requirements under RIDDOR as to what type of injury/incident is reportable to the Health & Safety Executive (HSE).

As accident/incident and investigation record(s) may be requested by the enforcement agencies, e.g. the Health and Safety Executive (HSE), Local Authority or the Fire Service, you must always ensure that copies are legible. It is important to keep records in a place where you can easily find them; records must be provided to the enforcement authorities if requested.

If you require any further information, please contact Verena at [email protected] or call 01332 667788.